The Q&A Archives: Persian Ironwood

Question: Hello
I am interested in planting a Persian Parrotia (Ironwood) in my yard. I believe I live in the correct zone for this tree. However, I am not sure if this tree can tolerate our hot summers. I talked with a sales associate at Mesquite Valley Growers and he stated they have never carried this tree. Please help.

Answer: According to the Monrovia on line plant descriptions, this plant might not really be all that well suited to the warm climate of Arizona. It is listed as growing well in USDA winter hardiness zones 5 to 7 which includes only the northern half of the state ; then it is listed as growing well in the American Horticulture Society's summer heat zones 1 to 7. Overall it is better suited to cool summer areas and areas that provide a mild winter yet still allow for an adequate chilling period. You might check with your local county extension and local professionally trained and certified nurserymen and see if they think this plant could grow for well for you; if not, that may explain why you are unable to locate it in your area. Here is some additional information about this tree that you may find interesting;