The Q&A Archives: starting of mimosa tree

Question: someone gave me a mimosa tree about 3 inches high should i plant outside now or leave it indoors or just what is the best way to take care of it until spring thank -you

Answer: I would plant it outside now in its permanent location, if you can. This would be much better than trying to keep it inside over the winter. Keep the soil evenly moist like a wrung out sponge, not sopping wet. Do not fertilize it. Mulch around it (do not touch the stem with it) using two to three inches of organic mulch. In late fall add more mulch to about six inches deep. Plant it in a spot that is in full sun all day and sheltered from winter winds. The soil should also be well drained, meaning do not plant it in a low spot or other extra wet location. You may also want to put a wire mesh cylinder around it so nobody steps on it by accident, or mows it off accidently. Best of luck with your little tree!