The Q&A Archives: Planting Knockout Roses in partial sun

Question: I recently received 3 Knock Out Roses as a gift. I know that roses do better in full sun however, I would like to plant them in an area where they would receive morning shade and afternoon sun. The area faces the west so the sun is on it from about noon until later in the evening in the summer. At this time of year, the sun would not shine on that area until about 1:30PM. I have been told that morning sun is best for roses because it dries the dew off the leaves. The area is between a sidewalk and the side of the garage so it gets quite hot there. I live in Zone 5. Thank you for your consideration. Ellyn Williams

Answer: Full sun is best but Knock Out Roses have been reported to do well with only 5-6 hours of direct sunshine. You can certainly try your roses there; if they fail to bloom well after the first or second year, move them to a sunnier spot. Enjoy!