The Q&A Archives: Phormium Tenax- container watering needs

Question: I have 7 phomium tenax in containers. I have been watering every other day for 50 minutes. The larger containers (28 inch) have inline dripper tubing with one gallon emitters every 6 inches, small containers ( 20 inch ) have 4 emmiters per. They have been in this state for 1 year and are doing fairly well. I recently removed dead blades and trimmed for appearance. I do not fertilize. All seems well. Just checking with the experts to see if I am missing any cultual requirements. The specimens recevie 6 to 10 hours of direct sun per day. If you can offer any comments I would truly appreciate it. Sincerly Ric Zanoni. Happy growing!!!

Answer: It sounds as though you have your watering technique down to a science. Phormium is drought tolerant so can do without such frequent watering, but they do see to thrive when given rich, moist soil. I wouldn't change a thing - I think what you're doing is just right for your plants. Enjoy!