The Q&A Archives: Mandevilla Vine

Question: We live in a cold climate. I have grown the mandevilla for the past two years, but cannot seem to find much information on it. I have brought the plant indoors for the winter but it is dropping leaves and looks awful. Any suggestions?

Answer: Mandevilla dipladenia is definately a tropical plant outdoors, but a lovely greenhouse or houseplant in colder areas. Mandevilla can grow to ten feet, so you need lots of room indoors. It should be happy with temperatures between 65F - 70F indoors, bright light but not direct sunlight, ample water spring and summer, little water in the winter, lots of humidity - so mist the leaves every few days - especially when flower buds form.<br><br>If your plant is dropping leaves, check to make sure you're notoverwatering it and that it's receiving lots of bright light. Also check to make sure your didn't bring any insects in when you brought it indoors. Sucking insects such as aphids, mites and scale can make the leaves look sickly yellow. Don't fertilize yet, but mist the leaves every week or so. Your plant may just be getting used to its new environment indoors and is dropping a few leaves during the transition. Good luck!