The Q&A Archives: English Boxwood Hedge

Question: I want to create a boxwood hedge and a portion of that hedge will be directly under a large tree. Will the bushes survive under the tree and is English Boxwood a good choice for the hedge? In time I want to be able to shape the top of the hedge into some artistic and/or pretty.

Answer: Carol,

Boxwoods prefer full sun but can take some shade In increasing shade they become less dense. English boxwood especially needs the sun. Any shrub in shade will be less dense with decreasing light intensity.

Go to the following web site which will allow you to search for Monrovia plants by name, and type in "boxwood". You'll get a listing of varieties which you can select from for more info and in some cases a photo. There sill be info on which zones each are adapted to and whether they need full sun or can take partial shade.