The Q&A Archives: Cycad With Yellow Leaf Tips

Question: The tips of my cycad are yellow, what should I do?

Answer: Poorly draining soil can cause leaf discoloration, including browning tips, yellow discoloration, or even leaf collapse. Cycads can die from rot and poor drainage causes rot. Clay soils are notorious for this. If the plant is in a container, change the soil. Use a soil high in sand/pumice content. If it is in the garden, consider moving the plant to a location where the drainage is better. Or, amend the soil with sand or pumice to increase drainage. If this is not sufficient, consider digging holes and breaking through layers of clay or sandstone to promote drainage. You might also consider diverting channels to take away ground water, or consider planting on a mound to get the plant off the present ground and water table level. Mounds with rocks and cycads are actually very appealing to the eye. Your plant can develop root rot if a drainage problme goes unaddressed for too long.