The Q&A Archives: No flowers on yellow trumpet plant

Question: I have two yeloow trumpet plants for two years now. Last year I prunned both down during the winter and they came back fine, but there are no flowers on either plant, What am I doing wrong? Should I cut them back in the winter or just leave them attached to the fence? I really like these plants, but just alot of leaves. They do get enough of sun and some shade. Thanks for your help.

Answer: Campsis radicans or trumpet vine usually fails to bloom due to being in too little sun (it really needs full direct sun all day long or a minimum of six hours a day including the hour of noon) or pruning at the wrong time (it blooms on new growth of the season, so any prunign should be done in late winter or early spring; summer pruning will remove flowering wood) or overfertilizing (too much nitrogen will encourage rampant foliage growth at the expense of blooming). Sometimes too it takes a new vine a year or two to settle in, become rooted, and really bloom its best. I hope yours blooms for you soon.