The Q&A Archives: Type of shrub instead of fence, 8 - 10 feet tall

Question: I would like to use shrubs instead of a typical fence for the perimeter of the backyard in MASS.
What type of shrub do you recomend. Part of the yard gets full sun while some sections only get partial sun due to neighbors trees. The soil is very harsh and I understand that a good bed of planting soil and fertilizer will need to be used to help the shrub.

Thank you

Answer: Your living fence will need an area about as wide as it is tall, so plant things well inside the fence line to allow for maintenance. You could plant any number of shrubs that are suited to the location in terms of light, soil type, and soil moisture. Some fairly easy care plants to consider for an informal mixed hedge planting would be privet, lilac, spirea, forsythia, shrubby dogwoods, Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) and Burkwood viburnum.

Amending the soil prior to planting will help your new shrubs thrive.