The Q&A Archives: Eucalyptus cinera leaves dry

Question: I recently bought one of your Eucalyptus cinera trees and now all of the leaves are dry and crisp, not soft and pliable like when I first bought it. It is potted since I live in region 5. Is it going to die or is there anything I can do to save it. Will the leaves rehydrate with extra watering? We went on vacation and I think it went without water for a bit too long.

Answer: Once the leaves have dried out, they won't rehydrate, but a healthy plant will replace the dead leaves with fresh, new leaves. Don't over water your Eucalyptus or you'll end up with root rot - a much worse problem! Eucalyptus likes full sun, heat, and regular watering for best growth. Water the soil thoroughly when the top inch dries out, applying water slowly so it has a chance to trickle down and wet the entire root mass. You should see some new growth appearing in a few weeks. Best wishes with your Eucalyptus!