The Q&A Archives: Calabash Gourd Seeds

Question: I think you know the Sherlock Holmes pipe. I want to make one like that, by myself, beginning from the seeds of Calabash's pumpkin (gourd). I've not been able to find the right seeds. Could you help me?

Answer: You could be looking for one of two trees. The calabash gourd grows on a tree, not a vine like most gourds. The calabash gourd grows on the Calabash Tree. (Crescentia cujete). Seeds for this tree are available at SBE Exotic Seed at You could also be thinking of the Gourd Tree. It is a tropical tree spreading to 30 ft. or more and produces a large gourd fruit similiar to the Calabash tree. Flowering is nocturnal and occurs on the branches and trunk throuhout the year. It too is available from SBE at <br><br>I hope this is what you are looking for.