The Q&A Archives: tomatoes potted

Question: I have 2 volunteer tomato plants that came up but I am trying to relocate them into separate fiberglass pots. They seem to be doing okay, even starting to produce slightly. I fed them B-1( Safer) to help. Should I do anything else? And I want to start more plants, but not from a seed at this late date. Should I use potting soil, planting mix or both? Thanks dave

Answer: Your volunteer tomato plants should continue to grow and produce until first frost. Starting new plants at this time in the season is risky, but you may find some with fruits all ready on them at your local nursery. If so, grab them up and transplant them into a sunny site in your garden. Reflected heat might hasten maturity of the fruits. Tomato plants aren't too picky about soil; garden soil, as long as it drains well, should suit them just fine. Not much else you can do to make the plants grow and produce fruit - sunlight, heat and adequate water are all they require. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!