The Q&A Archives: Glad bulbs

Question: I have a bag of about 100 glad bulbs purchased last fall and didn't get them planted. They look OK. Not dried up and not sprouted. do you think I could plant them this year? Would they produce flowers? The bulbs have been stored under moderate temperatures.

Answer: I don't want to sound too pessimistic, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the unplanted gladioli corms. Corms are underground storage organs for glads, but their lives can be cut short if they are not replanted each year so they can expend their energy by producing new foliage, which in turn revitalizes the corms with fresh new energy. You can certainly plant them and hope for the best; they may produce foliage but they won't have enough time this year to produce flowers before cold weather sets in. Best wishes with your glads!