The Q&A Archives: Tree fungus?

Question: I have a mimosa tree that had developed very beefy mushrooms(2)at it's base about a month ago and now the tree looks dead! I know the area has been suffering from

Answer: The mushrooms at the base of the tree are likely the "fruiting bodies" of a fungus that is feeding on dead wood, so once you see the mushrooms there isn't anything you can do... there are usually a sign that the tree is dead or dying, rather than the cause of death. It's impossible for me to know what caused your tree to die, so I can't say if your other one is OK or not. If it's a treasured tree, you could call in a professional arborist to evaluate its health.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by mcash70 and is called "Moss on a log"