The Q&A Archives: Sargent's Weeping Hemlock

Question: I have found an interesting tree called Sargent's Weeping Hemlock. I am interested in using it in my back yard. I live in Washington DC, a very hot and humid place inthe summer. The location in my garden would provide the tree with sunlight through out the moring until early afternoon. Could you share with me what kind of growing conditions this hemlock would require to flourish?

Than you very much!

Don Hutzel

Answer: In my experience the summer heat and humidity in Washington are not the best situation for hemlocks as they really prefer a cooler climate. They are also subject to a very serious pest called the hemlock wooly adelgid which is prevalent in the Washington area. Unfortunately I would not recommend planting a hemlock in your area for these reasons, but there are many interesting conifers you could plant successfully. I would suggest you work with your local professionally trained nursery staff to look into your options. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging about the hemlock, it is a lovely tree.