The Q&A Archives: Would an Acer Palmatum Dissectum(weeping maple) do well where I live?

Question: I am wondering if an Acer Palmatum Dissectum (weeping maple) tree will survive if I care for it and what would the problems be in my zone for that tree?

Answer: Acer Palm Dissectum (Weeping), is the Cutleaf Japanese Maple tree. It is hardy in Zones 5-8. (You are in zone 8) It is a beautiful tree with feathery lacy leaves, available in green, various reds (some brilliant) and purple. It does best in a shady spot or one with only filtered sunshine in your region. It must be protected from windy areas or the leaves will turn crispy. If you can find a protected spot, you can successfully grow a Japanese Maple. It is slow growing, usually putting out less than 12 inches per year.