The Q&A Archives: ensete ventricosum maureli abyssinian banana

Question: I have a banana tree in norfolk virginia on the southside of the house. I was told it needed to be brought in for the winter unless I was in zone 11. I have done some checking and I saw where it would be alright in zone 8. What should I do with this for winter I don't want to lose it.?

Answer: Ensete ventricosum is the hardiest of all banana trees and the roots should survive, but the tops will die down to ground level if hit by a hard frost. Plant yours in a protected area (under a large evergreen tree), or keep it in a container and overwinter it in a protected area by sinking the pot into the ground. If you've planted it in the ground, simply mulch over the roots to protect them from freezing during the winter months. In the spring you can cut away the dead foliage and new foliage should appear. Enjoy your new banana tree!