The Q&A Archives: Spruce Transplantation

Question: We just transplanted 10 Colorado Blue Spruces in pretty rocky soil. How often should we water and should I fertilize & how often. I'm a little worried about them already! Oh and we also planted 10 Austrian Pines. Advice on them too? Thank you ! Leslie

Answer: It's always a little stressful (for plants and for gardeners) when things are transplanted in the garden. Plants generally fare pretty well, so don't be unduly worried about your trees. The kindest thing you can do is to deeply water each and every tree once each week. Apply water slowly so it has a chance to trickle down and wet the entire root mass. Probably the easiest way to accomplish this is to build a watering basin beneath each. Once each week flood the basin; all it to drain, then flood it a second time. Continue this practice until fall rains take over for you. Don't fertilize at this time. You want your trees to establish their roots now rather than grow new foliage. You can fertilize in the spring if growth is slow or looks pale. Use a granular 8-8-8 and broadcast it over the soil surface, scratching it in well. Best wishes with your new trees!