The Q&A Archives: Locating Seeds For Candlestick Plant

Question: Do you carry seeds for the "candlestick plant"? Do you know the proper name for this plant? It is a large annual, with mimosa type serrated leaves with yellow flowers.

Answer: Wow! What a treasure hunt this turned out to be! The plant's proper name is Pachystachys lutea and it hails from Peru. While searching, I heard several "tales" of others looking for a way to obtain this beautiful plant (and it is beautiful isn't it, this was my first viewing). It is one of those plants I believe is handed down, gardener to gardener and no one really knows what it is or where it came from. I uncovered this beauty at Logee's Greenhouse at They offer it in plant form though, not seed. It is sold in 2-3" nursery pots and is not listed in their current catalog so you won't see it on their website. However, if you contact them through the website (I bet they will remember talking to me) they will accomodate you. Enjoy your plant, I am considering adding it to my own collection I was so impressed.