The Q&A Archives: the fruits on the double Weeping Cherry are poison fruits?

Question: Are the fruits on the Double Wepping Cherry poison?

Answer: In my experience the small fruits from double flowered weeping ornamental cherries such as Prunus pendula and Prunus subhirtella are quickly eaten by birds and small animals. They are closely related to the cherries grown for eating, but are much smaller fruits. If eaten while unripe they would probably give you a stomach ache. In the references I checked they are considered generally non toxic to people. Here is an example. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

If you have a case of suspected toxicity, please contact your local poison control immediately (or your veterinarian in the case of a pet).

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Southern Comfort"