The Q&A Archives: Chamaecyparis obtusa Nana lutea

Question: I recently purchased an evergreen plant called chamaecyparis obtusa Nana lutea. It did not have any futher information other than this name. Can you please let me know more details on this plant? Thanks.

Answer: A common name for this plant could be golden dwarf Hinoki Cypress. It is a slow growing form of Chamaecyparis. In botanical names, the word nana typically means small and lutea typically means yellow. I would suggest planting it in somewhat acidic, organic and humusy soil that is evenly moist yet well drained; I would site it in morning sun with protection from winter winds. Here are some fact sheets about it you may find interesting. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

Enjoy your new plant!