The Q&A Archives: Cercis canadensis "Forest Pansy"

Question: I bought this tree from an Anderson's local nursery.
After checking the Sunset book, I noticed it was best suited for zones 7-20.
I am in 22-23, but love the tree and wonder why they were selling it here, and if I have a chance at it working, or whether I should attempt to return it. On your page, it refers to it as

Answer: Your gardening zone is just fine for Forest Pansy Redbud. Sunset Western Garden Book has assigned its own numbers to its own zones - each takes into account the elevation and proximities to bodies of water, which change the growing environment. Sunset has effectively divided the western states into micro-climates and they've done an excellent job. However, their numbers do not correspond with the USDA zones so the numbers can be quite confusing. The differences in high and low temperatures are not all that different for zones 20-23 so your redbud should be just fine. To reinforce this, if you bought your redbud locally, the nursery has faith that it will do well in your region. So, plant your new redbud and enjoy!