The Q&A Archives: Dragon's Blood

Question: I purchased a Dragon's blood plant at a local nursery. I fell in love with it. Unfortuneatly after about a year it died. I can not find any locations providing the plant. I have looked on the internet but it only pulls up sites for spells and potions. Do you have any information on where I can puchase a dragon's blood? Also, how do I not kill it with in a year again?

Thank you for your help!

Answer: Dragon's Blood Tree is Dracaena draco. It is a palm-like evergreen slowly growing to 30 feet. Outdoors it needs protection from afternoon sunshine in Phoenix. Indoors it will adapt to low or moderate light levels. It performs best when grown in moist, fertile, organically rich, well-drained soils.

The name comes from the red sap of this tree that was sold as 'Dragon's Blood' and was said to be used by the ancient Egyptian during the embalming process.

I've seen these plants in the greenhouse or houseplant section of nurseries and also at Home Depot. I'll bet you'll find them there, too. Enjoy!