The Q&A Archives: WILL IT BLOOM???

Question: I have a crape myrtle that was planted about 3 years ago. It bloomed beautifully. Then I had a problem with Japanese beetles. I've just figured out that Sevin works the best for beetles. Then after still not having blooms, I inspected the tree closer and see that it has aphids. I sprayed it with another insect repellant and thankfully it has taken care of that problem. I immediately saw new growth and now it's almost the end of August.I'm in NC and it's still pretty warm and it's in a very sunny spot. Will it bloom this late in the season or shall I have to wait till next summer? Also is there any way to figure out what color it is? I forget and the company that planted it is out of business.I need to know so that I can plant another just like it in another location.

Answer: Crape Myrtle blooms in the spring, on new wood. I'm afraid there is no way to tell what color it is until it blooms. At that time you can cut a flowering branch and take it to your local nursery so you'll get an exact match. Best wishes with your Crape Myrtle!