The Q&A Archives: Vegetable Crop Rotation

Question: I know you aren't supposed to plant in the same place year after year. How far away from last year's tomato plants should I plant this year's tomatoes?

Answer: Crop rotation is an important part of vegetable gardening. When you rotate crops, all you really need to do is not plant things in the same place. You can grow your tomatoes in a place that held carrots or lettuce last year. In fact, if you plant the same veggies year after year, just try to put root crops in a place where you had leafy crops, leafy crops where you had above-ground crops, and above-ground crops where you had root crops. That way insects and diseases that may over-winter in the soil will not be able to infect your new plants in the spring.