The Q&A Archives: Habit of Chinese Evergreen Wisteria

Question: Hi, I often hear of the Wisteria taking over people's houses and garden's and the the weight of the plant can crush one's fence or trellis. I would like to grow a Chinese Evergreen Wisteria in my yard (laterally across a trellis screen) but wonder how substantial my trellis should be. Is the Chinese Evergreen Wisteria as agressive and forming a thick trunk like other types of wisteria? Thanks in advance.

Answer: Both Japanese and Chinese Wisteria are vigorously growing plants once established, and both can be trained into a single trunk if desired. The key to controlling wisteria is to prune them on an annual basis. I have a 20 year old wisteria growing up an ordinary trellis (2X4's and 1X2') and it is happily growing within the boundaries I have set for it. I think you'll be pleased with the way it responds to pruning. The horror stories you hear are because the plants have been neglected for many years. Enjoy your new wisteria!