The Q&A Archives: Kangaroo's Paw

Question: We live in Southern California and recently planted a couple of kangaroo's paw plants. By recent, I mean about two months ago, the end of June. The plant has grown from about 8 inches to 20 inches in height and looks healthy. However, the flowers on the plant, otherwise known as the paw, are starting to dry out. I can see new flowers growing in which leads me to believe this is a natural process. Is it? What should I do about the dying flowers, cut them off, let them fall off? YOur input is greatly appreciated.

Dead Paws

Answer: The flowering spikes are often harvested by florists for use in fresh arrangements so cutting them off your plant won't harm it. Or, you can allow the flowers to fall naturally from the plant - they may produce seeds which may germinate at the base of the parent plant. Expect your plants to go into a short dormancy period once they've finished flowering. They will produce new foliage and flowering stems after a few short weeks of rest. Enjoy your new plants!