The Q&A Archives: Propagating strawberries

Question: I want to grow the lettuce that I see in the store (the hard, softball size lettuce). What is the name of this lettuce? Also, I live in Philadelphia, PA and need to know what watermelon and cantelope seeds I need for a short growing season. It seems I run out of time when growing melons. Also, on strawberries are the seeds the little things on the outside of the strawberry? If they are, how can I start them from seed?

Answer: The lettuce you are referring to is Iceberg. Yes, those little brownish dimples on the outside of a strawberry fruit are the seeds (technically called achenes). Using your own strawberry seed for propagation, however, is not a dependable way to create aharvest of big beautiful strawberries. Maintaining runners from the mother plants is the only sure-fire way of getting exactly the same as you've had before.