The Q&A Archives: Squash

Question: A friend gave me a squash but I don't know what kind it is. Please tell me a site I can go to for pictures. Thank You
Sue Blind

Answer: There are hundreds of different varieties of squash. Probably the best resource for photos of all different kinds of squash, especially heirlooms, would be Amy Goldman's beautiful book called The Compleat Squash: A Passionate Grower's Guide to Pumpkins, Squashes and Gourds. ISBN 1579652514 Artisan 2004. Otherwise you might try seed catalogs and web sites such as

Johnny's Selected Seeds

Seedsavers Exchange

Make sure to check under both winter and summer squash as well as possibly pumpkin, depending on what general type you think you may have. Once you determine if it seems to be a sort of acorn squash or butternut squash, for example, I am not sure you will be able to refine the identity closer than that, but you can try.