The Q&A Archives: Is lime safe for dogs?

Question: I am unable to walk my dogs anymore. They have their own place to go. I clean it up every day. I was told by another dog owner who uses it that it was safe. I have 2 pit bulls (they're house dogs) and he has 2 rottwiellers.

Answer: Here is a description of the different types of lime you are likely to find and how they would typically be used on a lawn. Keep in mind that too much lime on the lawn can damage the grass, the effect would be cumulative because lime takes time to work its way into the soil and then moves very slowly through it.

Lime in some forms is very caustic on the skin. Powdered lime could also be tracked into the house and they might lick it off their paws. Please check with your veterinarian and with the manufacturer of whatever product you are thinking of using.

You might find that a concrete or gravel run for the dogs could be cleaned off regularly and also hosed clean with disinfectant -- this would also limit the amount of mud they track in during the winter. I hope this helps.