The Q&A Archives: Brown areas on dwarf japanese garden juniper basket

Question: I purchased (from Corrado's in Clifton, NJ) and planted over 30 shrubs 3 weeks ago. Almost all of them are Monrovia plants. All are doing well except the dwarf japanese garden juniper basket, which has large brown areas on top and the side of the basket. I have been watering all the plants frequently.
I took digital pictures of the shrub and would like to submit for your inspection. If you give me an email address, I can forward the pictures to you so you can tell me what to do.
I can be reached between 8am-4pm EST at 973-430-8344.

Answer: Unfortunately based on your description I am unable to diagnose the problem with your juniper long distance. (We are not able to accept photos through this service.) It might be a pest or disease problem, it might be related to planting technique, it might be transportation damage, it might be accidental herbicide damage or a watering system malfunction, and so on. For this reason I would strongly suggest you work with your retailer to determine what is happening to it. (This is especially important if a warranty is involved.) Your local county extension might also be able to help you with a specific diagnosis. If it is something that would require a chemical control they will have the most up to date information on what to use and how/when best to apply it. I am sorry you are having trouble with your shrub.