The Q&A Archives: Comparing smaller magnolias

Question: I'm interested in having a magnolia in my backyard. I don't want the usual height of a normal magnolia but would like it to be wide enough to have nice shade and eventually a bench underneath. Given that, which magnolia would you recommend? I'm looking at the Little Gem and the Bracken Brown beauty but am open to suggestions.

thank you!

Answer: Bracken's Brown Beauty can reach between 30 and 50 feet tall so it has the potential to become substantially larger than Little Gem. One of Bracken's special qualities is its winter hardiness and that is not of special concern in your area, so if it were up to me I would probably use the Little Gem given your size limitations. It runs 20 to 25 feet tall and only 10 to 15 feet wide. The overall scale of the plant is also smaller, as it has smaller foliage as well.