The Q&A Archives: shrubs & trees for birds

Question: hi- I am looking for a list of shrubs and short trees that get no more then 12 feet tall that I can plant for wild birds. I am planning my fall planting & thought that I would incorporate

Answer: If you want to attract local wildlife, native plants are always winners. These plants will provide food and shelter; all you need to do is add water (for the plants and for the wildlife!) Some examples of native plant/wildlife relationships include: Red-flowering currant (Ribes sanguineum ) and the Rufous Hummingbird - the flowering of the currant coincides with the spring arrival of the Rufous Hummingbird. Plants with berries - Honeysuckle (Lonicera spp.) attracts most songbirds and hummingbirds; Mountain Ash (Sorbus spp.) attracts waxwings and woodpeckers; other good berry plants include Huckleberry (Vaccinium spp.), Elderberry, and Snowberry. Vine Maple (Acer circinatum) provides resources for many species: seeds for a variety of birds, wood and twigs for deer, shelter for larvae of the brown tissue moth, and a good nectar source for bees.

For even more examples, you can visit one of the following websites: (Pacific Northwest native plants for wildlife) (Washington Native Plant Society)

Best wishes with your landscape!