The Q&A Archives: Tree suggestion

Question: I need to replace two bradford pears that have gotten too large for the front yard. Can you suggest a new tree that will be slow growing and will not get as large as the bradford pear? I am only going to put in one tree.

Answer: Marianne,

I like crape myrtles as they are available in many colors and sizes. Just check the final size before selecting a crape myrtle variety.

Go to the following web site which will allow you to search for Monrovia plants by name, and type in "crape myrtle". You'll get a listing of varieties which you can select from for more info and in some cases a photo.

Additionally, these next 2 web sites have a chart that provides many varieties and their sizes:

This next web site offers suggestions for more small trees and large shrubs to consider for your Georgia website: