The Q&A Archives: Hopseed Bush

Question: My Dodonaeaviscosa Purpurea have remained green for 3 summers, despite full sun and ample water. Can I do a nything to get them to turn purple?

Thank you.

Answer: Hopseed bush is an Arizona native that changes colors as it progresses through the season. In the spring, the leaves are purple, but they gradually change to glossy green during the summer. In the fall, the leaves turn a rich purple. The color should be intense enough for you to notice the changes, but if you see no color change at all, and if your hopseed bushes look otherwise healthy, there's really nothing you can do except wait patiently. They may just need to mature a bit before the color changes become more apparent. Best wishes with your garden!