The Q&A Archives: Endless Summer Hydrangea

Question: I want to plant an Endless summer Hydrangea in my yard. There is a very nice umbrella shaped accent tree 10- 12 feet tall which I would like to plant it under. It is on the West side of the house so under the tree does not get morning sun and noon day sun is also blocked by the tree. However it does get late evening sun and I have still not figured out how much midday sun. We live in Seattle and are considered zone 8. I would love an experts opinion on whether we should try a hydragea there or not.

Heather Abbott

Answer: Endless Summer is such a versatile shrub that it should perform well for you under the conditions you describe. It will grow in full sun to part shade and it blooms on new wood so if you keep the spent blossoms pruned off, it will produce lots of new blooms all summer long. Enjoy your garden!