The Q&A Archives: Training Euryops Into A Standard

Question: How do you train a Euryops from a bush into a standard? Also, what are the primary causes of their demise? I have lost one 6ft standard on the north side of my house and I think another is on its way out : - ((

Answer: You can train Euryops into a standard by removing all but the stongest stem and staking it so it grows upright. You'll need to rub out any growth along the stem and remove the lower branches as the stem elongates. Be sure to leave a topknot of foliage so the plant can manufacture energy for the roots. When it becomes as tall as you want it to be, pinch out the tip of the stem. Constant pinching and grooming will keep your Euryops in good shape. I'd wait until early spring to begin training the plant and doing the pruning.

Euryops is relatively insect and disease free, although bacterial leaf spot and powdery mildew can attack stressed plants. If you lost one and another is ailing, I'd take a sample of the problem to your local Cooperative Extension office for diagnosis. Once you know why the plants are failing, you can take preventative measures to protect the others.

Best wishes with your garden!