The Q&A Archives: Knockout Pruning

Question: First, let me tell you that we relandscaped with all Monrovia plants. While we had some losses in the first year (expected that, no one is perfect), we have been thrilled with the quality of your product.
Here's my question, we have beautiful 3-4 foot Knockout Roses -- blooming continuously since Spring. Other than deadheading and fertilizing, I've done little for them. I don't want them to get any bigger than they are, so my quesiton is two part: 1. when should I prune them and 2. by how much so they do not get much bigger next year?

Thank you!

Answer: Cathy,

Glad to hear you are pleased! Knockout is a superb rose. It makes a great shrub even when not in bloom which is seldom. Cut them back at the end of August (okay to do it now if you hurry) by about 1/3 then fertilize and water a little. You can cut them back by a third or more in mid February and even give a light shearing after the big spring bloom show fades. This keeps them dense and attractive while maintaining plant size.