The Q&A Archives: How much sun & wind can Juniper take?

Question: A friend is taking out two mature Juniper plants that will, she says, with time & indulgence, grow quite tall. I love their look & fragrance and want to give them a home. We are planning on transporting them this September. Will they like a site that is SW in exposure and gets maximum sun exposure? It is dry and wind-exposed (not to mention traffic fumes).

Answer: Junipers are very sturdy and resiliant plants. They should be fine in a hot and sunny SW location, even a windy one. They do require a spot that is well drained, meaning not wet or soggy. However, they are able to withstand all that due to a nice deep root system. I am not sure you will be able to transplant mature specimens as a result -- if there is too much root loss they will dehydrate and die. If they have been planted st your friend's house for more than a year or two, you might want to consider purchasing plants -- that way you can select a cultivar that will mature to the size and shape of the spot where you want to plant them. There is a huge range of mature sizes (and shapes) among the junipers. Good luck with the move!