The Q&A Archives: How do I best seed for new grass?

Question: I live in Alexandria, VA and lawns in general in my area are tough to keep green, thick and weed-free. I have an area that had lumber on it the past six months from a building project and the grass is entirely dead now -- it's just dirt. In order to regrow new grass the best way, what is your advice? A lawn savvy friend of mine said to buy the best durable grass seed as it's worth the money and to aerate the dirt area first. I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!

Answer: Yes, you need to loosen the soil to encourage rooting, add a little organic matter such as compost, and rake to provide a fine, level seedbed. Good quality grass seed -- also fresh seed dated for this year -- is definitely important. You also need to assure good contact between the seed and soil (you can roll it or try tamping with a board or flat side of the hoe over a smallish area), cover with a light sprinkling of clean straw to shade it a bit and help keep it from drying out, water gently as needed to keep the soil moist until it germinates. Good luck!