The Q&A Archives: Planting fall and winter blooming plants

Question: I am used to gardening in the WA state area. I moved to West Texas recently (zone 8)and wanted to know what you would recommend to plant in my flower beds. I would like to have something blooming through the fall and winter seasons. Could you please help? Also, I planted a Bouganvilla in the ground on the side of my house, but found out that they wont survive the winter here. Is that true? Should i dig it up and pot it, or will that put it into shock?

Answer: Tracy,

Bougainvillea most likely won't make it through your winter season even if covered with a blanket. In a mild winter with a deep mulch and a cover over the top after the first frost it could survive, but that is the exception not the norm. I would dig and repot it as soon as possible. Don't overwater it in the pot. The plant won't like being dug but it's your only option for keeping it alive.

For cool season color you are limited to ornamental cabbage and kale, as well as pansies and violas as the most dependable. Alyssum, stock, and calendula are okay until the hard freezes arrive.