The Q&A Archives: Lawn

Question: I have a question about grass. Most of my grass is BEAUTIFUL, but there are some spots that look terrible, you can pull out the grass without any trouble. I don't nkow what kinf of grass this is. Maybe you have an idea of what kind of grass this is & if there is any kind of fertilizer that would kill it without hurting the beautiful grass.
Hope you can give me HELP
Thank You
Richard Parker

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not certain what the ugly grass is. Fertilizer would not be likely to control it. And, generally speaking, an herbicide that would kill one type of grass would also kill the desirable grass. An exception would be crab grass which is an annual and can be stopped by applying crab grass preventer in very early spring, about when the forsythias bloom. I would suggest you work with your county extension to identify the weedy grass and once you know that, work with them to develop a control strategy as part of your overall lawm maintenance program. You really do need to know specifically what it is before you can decide how to treat it. Good luck with your lawn!