The Q&A Archives: yellowing leaves on new plantings

Question: I have a small garden with eastern sun all morning till noonish then it gets shade for the rest of the day i planted 4 mexican heathers and two gardenias they are all about 2 1/2 to 3 feet apart. It drains pretty well i am getting ready to put up a stone border around it with drainage in the worst corner. We have gotten alot of rain recently and I was wondering what to feed them to help bring them back? Thank you.

Answer: Cathy,

Good drainage is critical so do whatever you can to insure the soil doesn't stay soggy for very long. Raised planting beds usually works well.

Feed the gardenias with a plant food for acid loving plants such as Miracid or an Azalea/Camellia food. The Mexican heather will do fine with just a standard turf type fertilizer and that is pretty economical too. Use a tablespoon spread evenly throughout a 2 foot circular area around each plant.