The Q&A Archives: Avalanche Clematis Winter Care

Question: Even though I'm retired, I have just recently started gardening. I purchased two Monrovia

Answer: First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of gardening! You'll find lots and lots of new challenges to keep you busy in the garden all season long. So many, in fact, that you'll wonder how you ever had time to hold down a full time job!

Evergreen Avalanche clematis will stop growing when the weather turns cool. Regular watering is necessary until fall rains take over the task for you. Unless the clematis is planted under a roof overhang when the soil remains dry, natural rainfall should keep your plant happy all fall and winter long. Since it won't be actively growing during these months, you can suspend applications of fertilizer.

In the spring, when new growth begins, return to your routine of regularly watering and feeding your clematis.

Best wishes with your garden!