The Q&A Archives: Hardy Mum

Question: Is the Hardy Mum a perennial or an annual. I bought 2 orange and 1 deep rust colour hardy mum. The tag said it grows to 15 inches. would it look better planted together or at different intervals throughout the garden. Thanks.

Answer: I like plants grouped into odd numbers (3,5,7,etc.) They have more of an impact in the garden than a lone plant. However, mums can grow into attractive bushy plants, 15 inches tall and wide, so take that into consideration when you plant yours in the garden. Hardy mums are just that. They will bloom even past the first few frosts of the season before the tops of the plants die down. When this happens, cut away the old stems and foliage. Next spring, new shoots will emerge from the roots. They are long-lived perennials. Enjoy your new plants!