The Q&A Archives: buying mediterranean/italian cypress

Question: where can i buy a mediterrean cypress tree? my local nurseries are no help. i loved them in tuscany and would like ot take a chance with one (to start) since they grow slowly i would like a tree as opposed to seed.can you help me? thanks,marie

Answer: Your local nurseries probably do not carry it because it is essentially suited to a Mediterranean climate and needs dry air, sun, and mild winters (and perfect drainage) -- think Phoenix, AZ or southern California. This makes it extremely unlikely that it will grow well in your area -- too humid in the summer, too cold in harsher winters (it is winter hardy into the warmer part of zone 7). Why not try one of the upright junipers with a similar look such as "Skyrocket" instead? If you really want to try to grow one, you might try mail order from a catalog such as Forestfarm.

I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging. Good luck with your experiment!