The Q&A Archives: tomatoes done??/

Question: I have 2 tomato plants which are healthy and green. Should I leave them alone and keep feeding them or is the growing season over with and also how late in the year can tomatoes produce? thanks as always..dave

Answer: Depending upon the weather in your garden, tomatoes can be perennial plants and will continue to produce fruit for 3 or more years. In terms of fruit production, tomato plants will flower as long as the nighttime temperatures remain above 50F and the daytime temperatures remain below 90F. If your garden normally gets a hard freeze, expect the plants to die. I'd continue to care for the plants as usual. They will continue to produce, as long as the weather cooperates. If you can anticipate a freeze and there are still immature fruits on the plants, you can pull the entire plant up, roots and all, and hang it upside down in a cool, airy place such as a garage. The foliage will die, but most of the tomatoes will ripen in a few weeks. Hope this answers all your quesitons!