The Q&A Archives: Royal Robe Paraguay Nightshade

Question: I have recently purchased this tree, because it was being left to die at the local nursery. My thought was that I could keep it indoors and grow it there, as I am sure it wont winter in my area. Is this something that can be done and what would be the best way to do it?

Answer: Royal Robe Paraguay Nightshade (Solanum rantonetti ?Royal Robe?) is a tender plant of tropical origin. It will not survive outdoors in your region but will winter over under greenhouse conditions. I'm not sure you can successfully winter it over indoors, unless the site is bright, warm and humid. If you have a corner or spare room, you can use supplemental lighting to provide 12-14 hours of light, keep the room warm (65F minimum at night), and mist the plant daily to counteract the dryness of gas, wood, or electric heat. Best wishes with your venture!