The Q&A Archives: Care for varigated fallopia?

Question: The varigated fallopias that I have planted this year are labeled herbaceous. But Care instructions say to remove old foliage before new growth appears. As a herbasceous perennial I presumed that I could cut them back to the ground either in the fall or the spring. We get heavy snowfall here,the growth from this year will probably be flattened and I will not be here in the spring to tend them. How should I best treat them and when?

Answer: You can cut them back in the late fall once frost has killed the tops. The directions really just mean to remove it at some point, late fall, winter or early spring, before they start to grow again. And if you don't get to it, they will still probably come up just fine.