The Q&A Archives: What kind of berry is it?

Question: I have plants growing in my garden that are about 12 inches high with small white flowers with yellow centers and dark purple berries. They are growing wild. Is the berry edible and if so what is it?

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am not certain what you have. I would certainly NOT eat it until you have a definite, specific identification from a reputable authority and know that it is safe to do so. It might be one of the nightshades, for example, as shown at the following url. You will probably need to cut and paste it into your browser to make it work correctly because it is too long.

I would suggest you work with your local county extension, a local naturalist, or possibly a professionally trained nurseryman to obtain an identification of it. Good luck with your quest!